Robbie Robertson Details the Soundtrack to Martin Scorsese's 'The Irishman'
Hear the Canadian songwriter's theme from the film
Published Nov 01, 2019With Martin Scorsese's new film The Irishman hitting theatres today, film scorer Robbie Robertson has unveiled the details of its accompanying soundtrack.
While Robertson wrote the entire score to the film, the various-artists soundtrack — due out November 8 — only includes one track from the famed Band member. It's Robertson's "Theme for The Irishman," which you can already listen to down below.
"This is probably the 10th film I've worked on with Marty, and every time we do it, it's a whole new experience," Robertson told Rolling Stone. "The music score for The Irishman was an unusual feat. We were trying to discover a sound, a mood, a feel, that could work, over the many decades that this story takes place. Marty was drawn to a theme I wrote that brought a unique, timeless quality to this movie."
Besides that theme from Robertson, the soundtrack features an array of tracks from the 1940s and '50s, such as the Five Satins' doo-wop number "In the Still of the Night," Marty Robbins and Ray Connie's "A White Sport Coat (and a Pink Carnation)," Pérez Prado's "Qué Rico el Mambo" and Jackie Gleason's "Melancholy Serenade."
"The songs in The Irishman are a ticket to time transport — a magical jukebox that will revitalize overlooked musical gems and place you firmly in a bygone America where Jimmy Hoffa reigned, Jackie Gleason ruled and Jerry Vale crooned," said music supervisor Randall Poster. "Only a Scorsese film like The Irishman can ignite the past with such urgency and ambition."
You can see the full tracklist below.
While The Irishman hits theatres today, it will arrive on Netflix on November 8. You can read Exclaim!'s review.
Robertson, meanwhile, recently released his solo album Sinematic.
The Irishman OST:
1. "In the Still of the Night" – The Five Satins
2. "Tuxedo Junction" – Glenn Miller & His Orchestra
3. "I Hear You Knockin'" – Smiley Lewis
4. "The Fat Man" – Fats Domino
5. "El Negro Zumbon (From the Motion Picture "Anna")" – Flo Sandon's
6. "Le Grisbi" – Jean Wetzel
7. "Delicado" – Percy Faith & His Orchestra
8. "Have I Sinned" – Donnie Elbert
9. "Theme for The Irishman" – Robbie Robertson
10. "Song of the Barefoot Contessa" – Hugo Winterhalter & His Orchestra
11. "A White Sport Coat (and a Pink Carnation)" – Marty Robbins with Ray Conniﬀ
12. "Canadian Sunset (Single Version)" – Eddie Heywood
13. "Honky Tonk, Pt. 1" – Bill Doggett
14. "Melancholy Serenade" – Jackie Gleason
15. "Qué Rico el Mambo" – Pérez Prado
16. "Cry" – Johnnie Ray & The Four Lads
17. "Sleep Walk" – Santo & Johnny
18. "The Time Is Now" – The Golddiggers
19. "Al Di La" – Jerry Vale & The Latin Casino All Stars
20. "Pretend You Don't See Her" – The Latin Casino All Stars