Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse's Dark Night of the Soul Finally Gets Release Date
Published Apr 21, 2010Last month, we reported that Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse's long-delayed collaborative album Dark Night of the Soul would finally receive a proper release date. The album was originally supposed to come out a full year ago, but was shelved following a legal dispute between Danger Mouse and EMI.
The record label finally buried the hatchet with the hip-hop producer, announcing that it was "delighted" to be working with him again. And this time, EMI has stuck to its guns, as Dark Night of the Soul has been given a July 13 release date via Capitol Records in North America. It will come out in Europe the day before on Parlophone/EMI.
Dark Night of the Soul was helmed by Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse, but is full of collaborations with the likes of Wayne Coyne, Gruff Rhys, Jason Lytle, Julian Casablancas, Iggy Pop, David Lynch, the late Vic Chestnutt and many others.
Tragically, Sparklehorse's Mark Linkous will not be able to own a copy of this special album, as he committed suicide in March. In a statement, Danger Mouse remembered his time with Linkous.
"Mark felt that it was an honour to be able to collaborate with so many of the artists on this record," he said. "His time and dedication to this project was immense and his hopes for its release are finally being realized. We are glad that people will now be able to hear these songs and know the beautiful gift that Mark shared with all of us through his music."
Fortunately, Linkous at least knew the album would be seeing the light of day, as Danger Mouse explains, "I told Mark that we'd worked things out with EMI back in January and he was very happy that the album was finally going to be released this year. Mark meant a great deal to a lot of people and I'm grateful to have made music with him and to be a part of his legacy."
Dark Night of the Soul :
1. "Revenge" (ft.Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips)
2. "Just War" (ft. Gruff Rhys of Super Furry Animals)
3. "Jaykub" (ft. Jason Lytle of Grandaddy)
4. "Little Girl" (ft. Julian Casablancas of The Strokes)
5. "Angel's Harp" (ft. Frank Black of Pixies)
6. "Pain" (ft. Iggy Pop)
7. "Star Eyes" (I Can't Catch It) (ft. David Lynch)
8. "Everytime I'm With You" (ft. Jason Lytle of Grandaddy)
9. "Insane Lullaby" (ft. James Mercer of The Shins)
10. "Daddy's Gone" (ft. Mark Linkous & Nina Persson of The Cardigans)
11. "The Man Who Played God" (ft. Suzanne Vega)
12. "Grim Augury" (ft. Vic Chestnutt)
13. "Dark Night Of The Soul" (ft. David Lynch & horns by Scott Spillane of Neutral Milk Hotel)